Fast Facts about the Vanderbilt School of Engineering
- Vanderbilt University Board of Trust voted to create the Engineering Department in 1886.
- Programs in biomedical engineering, chemical engineering, civil engineering, computer engineering, electrical engineering and mechanical engineering are accredited by the Engineering Accreditation Commission of ABET, www.abet.org.
- Student/faculty ratio: 15-1
- Teaching Faculty Total: 119
- Tenure and Tenure-Track Faculty: 86
- Non-Teaching Research Staff: 42
- Undergraduate student population: 1281 (Spring 2013)
5.2% African American
8.0% Asian American
6.9% Hispanic American
- Median SAT: 1488 (Fall 2012 freshmen), 98th percentile
- 61% of engineering students receive some form of financial aid
- Ranked No. 34 in the 2013 annual undergraduate rankings by U.S. News & World Report (released September 2012)
- Degrees awarded (2012-2013)
- Graduate student/faculty ratio: 5-1
- Graduate Student population: 457 (Fall 2012); 393 Ph.D., 45 M.S., 19 M.Eng.
- Ranked No. 36 in the 2014 annual graduate rankings by U.S. News & World Report (released March 2013)
- Graduate Degrees awarded (2012-2013)
- Of the graduates who sought employment, 90 percent had jobs within six months of graduation.
- After graduation, 20 percent of graduates go to on to graduate school and 15 percent go to professional schools.
Updated: March 13, 2013