Skip to main content

Engineering Academic Advising

Transfer Credit | Double Major | Minors | AP Credit | Credit for Previous College Work  | Petition to Underload

A faculty adviser is appointed for each student.  This adviser is chosen from the faculty in the student's major, when the major is known.  For students who have not chosen a major upon entry, an adviser is selected from faculty in any department.  If a student later chooses a different department for his or her major, a corresponding change of adviser is made.  Engineering students are required to see their advisers at registration and any other time changes must be made in their programs of study.  Any student who has academic difficulty is expected to see his or her faculty adviser for counsel.  Faculty advisers can also provide useful career guidance.

Our primary goal is to ensure that our engineering students have the information, counsel, and resources to succeed in the School of Engineering.  

Although we do not replace your faculty advisers, we are here to supplement their advice and help you find your way. Engineering Advising orients first-year engineering students to the School of Engineering and works closely with students as they progress through the engineering curriculum. Our programs and services inform, support, and encourage individuals to be self-directed in their Engineering education.

Transfer Credit

It is the student's responsibility to provide all information needed for an assessment of the program for which transfer of credit is requested.  Work transferred to Vanderbilt from another institution will not carry with it a grade point average. No course in which a grade below C- was received will be credited toward a degree offered by the School of Engineering. Transfer students must complete at least 60 hours of work at Vanderbilt. Two of the semesters must be the senior year.

Double Major

It is possible for a student to combine an engineering field with a second area outside the School of Engineering. The student must obtain prior approval of each department and satisfy the requirements of each major, including the requirement regarding minimum grade point average. Certain double majors involving two programs within the School of Engineering have been approved by the faculty. The approved double majors are biomedical engineering/electrical engineering, and biomedical engineering/chemical engineering. The double major is indicated on the student's transcript. Only one degree is awarded, from the school in which the student is enrolled.


A declared minor consists of at least five courses of at least 3 credit hours each within a recognized area of knowledge. A minor offers students more than a casual introduction to an area, but less than a major. A minor is not a degree requirement, but students may elect to complete one or more. Courses may not be taken on a Pass/Fail basis. A minor for which all designated courses are completed with a grade point average of at least 2.0 will be entered on the transcript at the time of graduation. When a minor is offered in a discipline that offers a major, only those courses that count toward the major may be counted toward the minor. Students should refer to the appropriate sections of this catalog for specific requirements. Currently, minors are offered in computer science, energy and environmental systems, engineering management, environmental engineering, materials science and engineering, nanoscience and nanotechnology, scientific computing, and in most disciplines of the College of Arts and Science, Blair School of Music, and Peabody College. Students should declare their intention to pursue minors by completing forms available in the Student Services Office of the School of Engineering. Departments and programs assign advisers to students who declare minors in their areas. Students are responsible for knowing and satisfying all requirements for the minors they intend to complete.

Advanced Placement Credit

Some students may qualify for advanced placement or advanced credit in mathematics, science, the humanities and social sciences, or computer science.  If advanced credit is awarded, it will not affect the student's Vanderbilt grade point average.

Entering engineering students will be placed in the appropriate level mathematics course by the director of undergraduate mathematics program.  Students offering one full year or more of high school credit in analytic geometry and calculus may qualify for advance placement in a regular sequence by scoring well on the Advance Placement Examination.  In such cases, the minimum number of hours in mathematics required for the student's chosen engineering major will be reduced accordingly, but the minimum number of hours required for graduation will not be reduced.

Credit for Previous College Work

Entering freshmen who have taken pre-freshman college work during their junior or senior year in high school or during summers prior to beginning their career at Vanderbilt must report such work to the Office of Academic Services. At the student's request, the Office of Academic Services will determine whether such work may be credited toward the Vanderbilt degree. An application for pre-freshman credit and instructions for requesting credit for such work at Vanderbilt can be found here:

Petition to Underload

Undergraduate seniors may wish to take under 12 hours in their final semester at Vanderbilt. 

Students may view the eligibility requirements and online form here: