Skip to main content

Transfer Credit Evaluation Process

There are three ways in which School of Engineering students obtain transfer credit: External University Transfer, Semester or Summer Work Elsewhere, and Pre-Freshman Credit. In all instances, students should carefully review the instructions on the University Registrar website for Transfer Credit Course Review. The University Registrar website provides information on how to submit the course for review through Your Enrollment System (YES), transfer credit policies, and additional contact information.

External University Transfer students

Students who are transferring to Vanderbilt from another university must get their coursework evaluated prior to beginning their studies at Vanderbilt. . Students who enroll in a class and find out later that transfer credit has been earned for that same course may make changes to their schedule during the open enrollment period from the end of July to the beginning of August.

Pre-Freshman Credit

Incoming freshman to Vanderbilt may be eligible to earn credit for courses taken through an accredited college or university. Students must review the rules of eligibility on the University Registrar's website and then follow the directions on submitting the course for review.

Semester Work Elsewhere/Study Abroad

The School of Engineering allows students to complete Summer coursework elsewhere and/or to study abroad to complete some of their degree requirements.  Students must review the general requirements listed on the University Registrar's website and then follow the directions on this website to submit the course for review. Students who wish to direct enroll or study abroad over the summer at an international institution need approval from Dean Julie Vernon.