Curricular Practical Training (CPT) for International Students
As an international student, you can work in the U.S. if your work experience is part of curricular practical training (CPT). Once you have a confirmed offer for an internship, whether off-campus or on-campus, you will need to do several things.
The summer 2021 dates for internships span May 17 through August 13. You may not accept internship offers outside these dates.
Here’s what you can do right now:
- Complete the Summer Internship Orientation and Quiz. Information can be found here: https://www.vanderbilt.edu/career/career-exploration/internships/summer-internship-subsidy/
- Save a copy of the email you receive that certifies your quiz results.
Once you know where you will be working and have an offer letter in hand, you will need to see Associate Dean Chris Rowe by calling Teresa Benedetti at 615-343-3773 to schedule an appointment. In advance of meeting with him, do the following:
- Complete this form.
- This form will enable you to get a subsidy for all but $200 of one credit hour of tuition for this internship. Type or use ink. The course number is ES 3884.
- Start to complete the CPT application form using the ISSS student portal. Select Associate Dean Chris Rowe as your adviser. (email is email@example.com)
- Send the recommendation request to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Email the completed summer scholarship subsidy form, your offer letter containing start/stop dates, technical answers to the following two questions, and the quiz results to Dean Rowe in advance of any scheduled meeting time.
Explain how the practical training is an integral part of the student's program of study.
- Your internship must be closely tied to your program of study, thus it must tie into what you've learned in your classroom experience.
Please describe the specific educational objectives that will be met with the practical experience.
- Describe the specific goals and objectives that will be achieved through the practical training and how they are related to the student's major program of study including how it will prepare you for continuing your academic program after the internship experience.