Curricular Practical Training (CPT) for International Students
As an international student, you can work in the U.S. if your work experience is part of curricular practical training (CPT). Once you have a confirmed offer for an internship, whether off-campus or on-campus, you will need to do several things.
The fall 2022 dates for internships span August 24 through December 16. Spring 2023 CPT dates run from January 9 through May 3. Summer 2023 internship dates span May 8 through August 11. You may not accept internship offers outside these dates.
Here’s what you can do right now:
- Complete the Summer Internship Orientation and Quiz (whether this is a summer internship or not). Information can be found here: https://www.vanderbilt.edu/career/career-exploration/internships/summer-internship-subsidy/
- Save a copy of the email you receive that certifies your quiz results.
Once you know where you will be working and have an offer letter in hand, you will need to see Senior Associate Dean Cynthia Paschal by calling the Engineering Dean's Office at 615-343-3773 or email email@example.com to schedule an appointment. In advance of meeting with her, do the following:
- Complete this VUSE internship form.
- If a summer internship, this form will enable you to get a subsidy for all but $200 of one credit hour of tuition for this internship. Type or use ink. The course number is ES 3884.
- Tuition subsidies do not apply to internships during the academic year, though the form is still required.
- Start to complete the CPT application form using the ISSS student portal.
- Email Dean Paschal the following four items:
- the completed VUSE internship form,
- your offer letter containing work start/stop dates,
- a pdf copy of the email with your internship quiz results,
- and technical answers to the following two questions
- Explain how the practical training is an integral part of the student's program of study. Your internship must be closely tied to your program of study, and thus it must tie into what you've learned in your classroom experience. Here is an example answer for this question: “The student will be learning field practices involved in the life-cycle of construction project planning and implementation. The internship will require application of concepts learned in structural analysis, structural design, and construction project management classes that the student has taken.”
- Describe the specific goals and objectives that will be achieved through the practical training and how they are related to the student’s major program of study. Here is an example answer for this question: “The student will work with other developers to make genomic data available via mCODE in Microsoft’s Azure platform. The student will learn to process genomics data in the format of mCODE and explore how to store those in the cloud using the Azure platform. The student is expected to explore cloud computing and database programming as well as gain experience in data processing in preparation for more advanced coursework and for completion of the senior project required in the student’s major.”