Skip to main content

Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering

Graduate Program

Apply Now  

Application Deadlines and Fees

Spring admission November 1
Spring admission offers November 15
Deadline to accept admission December 1
Fall admission January 1*
Fall admission offers Feb. - March
Deadline to accept admission April 15

*Applications submitted by December 15, 2023 will receive priority review with acceptances emailed before January 15, 2024. Applications submitted by January 1, 2024 will be reviewed in January with acceptances emailed in February and March, 2024.

The Graduate School application fee is $95.00. The fee will be automatically waived for qualifying applicants. Please visit the Graduate School website to see if you qualify for an automatic waiver. A description of the application requirements and a list of FAQs can also be found on this page. Note that GRE scores are not required and will not be used to evaluate applications to the Chemical Engineering graduate program (Masters or PhD). Due to difficulties imposed by the COVID-19 pandemic, the program is currently accepting the TOEFL iBT Home Edition test as well as the DuoLingo test to document proficiency in English.

The Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering department will also provide a limited number of discretionary fee waivers to applicants who fit specific areas of research or programmatic need. Please complete this short questionnaire to request a discretionary fee waiver. (If you qualify for an automatic waiver, there is no need to complete this questionnaire.)   


Kane Jennings
Director of Graduate Recruiting
Vanderbilt University School of Engineering
Department of Chemical and Biomedical Engineering
PMB 351604
Nashville, TN 37235-1604

Jamey Young
Director of Graduate Studies
Vanderbilt University School of Engineering
Department of Chemical and Biomedical Engineering
PMB 351604
Nashville, TN 37235-1604

Program Overview

Graduate work in chemical engineering provides an opportunity for study and research at the cutting edge to contribute to shaping a new model of what chemical engineering is and what chemical engineers do. Formal coursework for the Ph.D. essentially doubles the exposure to chemical engineering principles that students receive as undergraduates. Thesis research gives unparalleled experience in problem solving, the key to challenging research assignments in industry and admission to the worldwide community of scholars. All faculty members in the Department are active in research and direction of graduate student projects. Additionally, students are provided with numerous professional development activities, including attendance at conferences, professional seminars, career services, teaching supervision for those interested in academic careers, etc. There is also an active Chemical Engineering Graduate Student Association (ChEGSA), which represents graduate student interests and sponsors social events.

We offer a broad range of research opportunities in chemical engineering with focus areas including:


Programs leading to the M.S. and Ph.D. degrees are offered through the Graduate School. Both require a combination of coursework and a thesis. A non-thesis based Master of Engineering degree is offered through the School of Engineering.

Graduate study typically begins in the Fall Semester, which starts the last week in August; although students should be in Nashville in advance of this date for orientation.

Financial aid is available to graduate students. Ph.D. students typically receive full financial support including a generous stipend and health insurance, as well as full tuition and fee waivers. New students who receive aid are usually awarded a Teaching Assistantship (TA). Teaching Assistants tutor undergraduate students, grade undergraduate student homework, or assist in the undergraduate laboratory. After graduate students have selected a thesis topic and begun research, aid will normally be provided by a Research Assistantship (RA) awarded from a grant obtained by the student's research adviser. The work performed by an RA is his or her M.S. thesis or Ph.D. dissertation research. Some special honor fellowships are also available.

McCabe MuMS

To apply online click  here

2018 brochure thumbnail