Computer Science Mission statement, Objectives and Outcomes
Mission of the Vanderbilt Program in Computer Science
The program in Computer Science will prepare undergraduate students to accept and fulfill responsibilities across a broad spectrum of activities, including:
- The practice of Computer Science.
- Academic careers in Computer Science.
- Other areas in which a preparation in Computer Science will support significant contributions to the field, including finance, medicine and law.
- Service to the engineering community and the community at large.
Within 2-4 years of graduation, Computer Science program graduates will achieve:
- Successful careers, as reflected by advancement to positions that include greater responsibility and intellectual challenge
- Successful performance in graduate or professional degree programs
Graduates of the Computer Science Program will have an ability to:
- Analyze a complex computing problem and to apply principles of computing and other relevant disciplines to identify solutions.
- Design, implement, and evaluate a computing -based solution to meet a given set of computing requirements in the context of the program’s discipline.
- Communicate effectively in a variety of professional contexts.
- Recognize professional responsibilities and make informed judgments in computing practice based on legal and ethical principles.
- Function effectively as a member or leader of a team engaged in activities appropriate to the program’s discipline.
- Apply computer science theory and software development fundamentals to produce computing-based solutions.
Student Enrollment and Graduation Rates
The official enrollment is determined each semester on the 22nd day of class.
As of Spring 2019, 449 undergraduate students were enrolled in the computer science program.
The School of Engineering conferred 95 bachelor of science degrees in computer science in the 2018/2019 academic year. Statistics concerning graduation rates and job placement are maintained by the School of Engineering and can be viewed at: