Summer research opportunities available for undergraduates
Vanderbilt University and the School of Engineering offer undergraduates numerous summer research opportunities to expand their classroom knowledge and gain valuable practical experience.
The School of Engineering’s summer research program has project offerings in every department. Applications are open now through Feb. 5. Students can review 2023 projects and apply for up to three. Placement offers should arrive before or by March 15. The student decision deadline is April 1.
Students work 10 weeks on active research projects under the supervision of a faculty member and with other undergraduates and graduate students and receive a $6,000 stipend. The program dates are May 30 to Aug. 4. More information and FAQs are here.
Other summer research opportunities available include:
- Vanderbilt Institute for Surgery and Engineering—VISE offers a 10-week Summer Fellows program and provides financial support. Fellows work under the supervision of faculty and graduate students. Interested students should apply early in the spring semester and directly to the principal investigator of VISE affiliated labs. Read about the experiences of some 2022 fellows.
- Institute for Software Integrated Systems—ISIS offers paid 10-week summer research internships for undergraduate and graduate students at Vanderbilt and other universities. The program dates are May 30 to Aug. 4. Application deadline is March 3. The latest notification of acceptance is March 24. The student decision deadline is April 3. Questions can be sent to email@example.com
- Vanderbilt Institute of Nanoscale Science and Engineering—VINSE brings 10 students to campus each summer to work closely with VINSE faculty. The summer program is funded by the National Science Foundation Research Experiences for Undergraduates (NSF-REU) program. The application deadline is Feb. 15, and more details are here. See the list of 2023 summer projects.
Vanderbilt University research opportunities for engineering students:
- Vanderbilt Undergraduate Summer Research Program (VUSRP) provides Vanderbilt undergraduate students with the opportunity to fulfill 10 weeks of full-time research under the mentorship of any full-time Vanderbilt University faculty member, including faculty in the graduate and professional schools. More information and FAQs are here. The application for summer 2023 is now open. Applications are due no later than noon Monday, Jan. 30.
- Vanderbilt Summer Science Academy (VSSA) is an umbrella program that brings together undergraduates conducting summer biomedical research at the Vanderbilt School of Medicine. Approximately 70 students in 15 research programs participate in VSSA seminars, enrichment activities, and social activities. There are two research tracts. Most 2023 applications will close Feb. 1.
- Vanderbilt Data Science Institute Summer Research Program offers undergraduates the opportunity to engage in 10 weeks of full-time data science focused research and a $6000 stipend. Application deadline is Friday, Feb 3. Applications are in the InfoReady System; send direct questions to firstname.lastname@example.org
- The Wond’ry Internship Network (WIN) provides opportunities in Wond’ry practice areas—Biomedical Innovation, Social Innovation, Entrepreneurship, Innovation Research & Design, Making, the Launch Incubator, and the Wond’ry itself—for undergraduate and graduate students from Tennessee-based universities and colleges. View the open opportunities and apply.
Contact: Brenda Ellis, 615 343-6314
Posted on Tuesday, January 17, 2023 in engineering internships, summer research internships,Biomedical Engineering, Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering, Civil and Environmental Engineering, Computer Science, Electrical and Computer Engineering, Home Features, Mechanical Engineering, News, News Sidebar, Research