Issue: October 2020
Research activity is grouped in nine intellectual neighborhoods that characterize our distinctive culture of collaboration within and beyond the traditional walls of departments, schools, institutions and disciplines. Our neighborhood model increases the already strong collaborative nature of the school and adds to the nimbleness of how we solve real-world societal and technological problems with worldwide impact.
- $5 million NSF Convergence project revolutionizes neurodiverse employment through AI
- Run 50% faster—with a spring in your step
Big Data Science and Engineering
- Two sweeping public health projects awarded NSF Convergence grants
- Knowing pre-diagnosis conditions can improve screening, tailor treatment
- Mining EMRs and clinical journals to find novel disease associations
- Automating CPS Engineering with AI co-designers
- Adjusting bus capacity for COVID-19 protocols
- Vanderbilt leads green energy project to better manage microgrids and local energy systems
- Rewriting how complex software evolves
- Microtransit with major impact
- NIH backs team’s sustained work in T-cell immune response with $11 million P01 grant
- A new look at what drives metastasis
Nanoscience and Nanotechnology
- Self-sealing technology corrects for pore size
- Team achieves solute-solute separation with sub-Angstrom precision
- Shaping materials at the atomic scale
Surgery and Engineering
Risk Reliability and Resilience
- Minimizing risks in wind and solar power forecasts
- Electronics institute advances employer partnerships and undergraduate training
Biomedical Imaging and Biophotonics
- Breakthrough in flat optics could transform biomedical imaging and computer vision
- Imaging team aims small, with a quiet, more portable MRI system
Energy and Natural Resources
From the Dean
Drawing on real-world data to provide solutions to the challenges cities face has never been more important.
The first woman enrolled in the School of Engineering in 1911. We highlight other milestones and notable alumnae across more than 100 years.
For her summer internship, a civil engineering major helped close out a huge construction project for the U.S. Navy.
Close collaboration with VUMC attracted mechanical engineering Ph.D. candidate attracted to Vanderbilt.
Numbers of Note
In the most recent fiscal year 35 U.S. patents were issued, representing 68 School of Engineering inventors.