Class of 2026 Computer Recommendations:
Please note that the specifications below are recommended minimums (preferred specs in italics).
- Processor: Intel i5 (11th Gen) i5-1135G7 Quad core, 2.4 GHz to 4.20 GHz turbo.
- Primary Memory: 16 GB RAM
- Hard drive 512 GB Solid State Disk ( 1TB Solid State Drive)
- Wired Networking: IEEE 802.3 100BASE-T Fast Ethernet
- Wireless Networking: IEEE 802.11ax Wireless LAN Standard
- Graphics: Intel Iris Xe graphics ( discrete dedicated graphics card NVIDIA recommended)
- English keyboard
- Three-year limited warranty (Four-year limited warranty)
- Three-year accidental damage coverage (Four-year accidental damage coverage)
- Microsoft Windows 10 Pro / Mac OS (64-bit, the default for Mac OS, is also recommended for Windows)
- Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint) which is available at the Vanderbilt Software Store
- For Windows computers, Windows Defender - included in Windows 10 - or equivalent security software (i.e., software that guards against viruses, spyware, and other malicious software)
Note: Whatever computer (PC, Apple, other) you bring for use in your studies must be able to run application software designed to run on Microsoft Windows in upper-level classes. There are different ways to achieve this, and the software to support this is available in the Vanderbilt Software Store, including the Windows operating system itself, available as a free download. Note that even with these adaptations, some application software will not function well on an Apple computer. Also, Mac computers do not always work with external hardware required in some engineering classes. As such, students considering majoring in biomedical, civil, or mechanical engineering should have a PC and not a Mac.
For more information visit: https://engineering.vanderbilt.edu/transit
For questions, please contact the VUIT Team via ticket/text/chat https://it.vanderbilt.edu or by calling 615.343.9999.