Skip to Content

Home > Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering > Graduate Program > Graduate Program

Graduate Program


Graduate work in chemical engineering provides an opportunity for study and research at the cutting edge - to contribute to shaping a new model of what chemical engineering is and what chemical engineers do. Formal course work for the Ph.D. essentially doubles the exposure to chemical engineering principles that students receive as undergraduates. Thesis research gives unparalleled experience in problem solving, the key to challenging research assignments in industry and admission to the worldwide community of scholars. All faculty members in the Department are active in research and direction of graduate student projects.

We offer a broad range of research opportunities in chemical engineering with focus areas including:

  • Absorption and nanoporous materials
  • Alternative energy and biofuels
  • Biomaterials and tissue engineering
  • Computational molecular engineering and nanoscience
  • Nanoparticles for drug and gene delivery
  • Surface modification and molecular self-assembly
  • Microelectronic and ultra-high temperature materials


Programs leading to the M.S. and Ph.D. degrees are offered through the Graduate School. Both require a combination of course work and a thesis.

Graduate study typically begins in the Fall Semester which starts the last week in August. Students typically come to Nashville in advance of this date for orientation. There is an active Chemical Engineering  Graduate Student Association  which represents graduate student interests and sponsors social events.

A variety of financial aid is available to graduate students. New students who receive aid are usually awarded a Teaching Assistantship (TA). Teaching Assistants tutor undergraduate students, grade undergraduate student homework, or assist in the Undergraduate Laboratory. After graduate students have selected a thesis topic and begun research, aid will normally be provided by a Research Assistantship (RA) awarded from a grant obtained by the student's research adviser. The work performed by an RA is his or her M.S. thesis or Ph.D. dissertation research. Some special honor fellowships are also available.  See where our graduate students come from .


To apply online click  here . ONLINE applications to Vanderbilt Graduate School are free!

 Departmental viewbook.
Departmental viewbook