Ph.D., Chemical Engineering
M.S., Chemical Engineering
B.S., Chemical Engineering
212-A Olin Hall
VU Mailbox: PMB 351604, Nashville, TN 37235-1604 USA
Professor of the Practice of Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering
My current research is on various design aspects of polymer and chemical technologies including plant-wide design and optimization strategies, chemical product and process safety, polymer product characterization and failure analysis, and process integration. I also provide technical support on a variety of feasibility level process designs and polymer product analysis.
Heat Integration, Mass Integration and Water Network Design
This research focuses on the development of a range of cost-savings measures for chemical and polymer factories, plants or manufacturing sites to improve the profitability and long-term sustainability of their facilities. By focusing on decreasing energy consumption, water consumption, and waste reduction, chemical plants can enjoy cleaner processes, significant capital and operational cost savings, and reduced greenhouse gas emissions. New design methodology and computer software tools based on the concepts of pinch technology have been developed and continue to be investigated.
Polymer Failure Analysis
This research focuses on the identification of the root cause of failure of a polymer, plastic or composite material through rigorous, microscopic testing and a complete analysis of the fractured or failed component. Polymer failure analysis techniques used include chemical, thermal and mechanical testing, contaminant identification, and microscopic fracture surface analyses, as well as analyses of proper polymer and plastic manufacturing, processing and product design.
- Over 20 years of full-time industrial and consulting experience:
- Ampex Corporation
- General Electric, Polycarbonate Technology
- Monsanto Chemical Company/Solutia, Corporate Fellow, Nylon Technology
- Polymer and Chemical Technologies
Recent presentations, conferences and publications:
- Air Pollution Control Technology Handbook, Karl B. Schnell, Russell F. Dunn and Mary Ellen Ternes, Second Edition, CRC Press, 2016, 429pp.
- Using Process Integration to Retrofit Processes for Energy Conservation and Wastewater Minimization, Russell F. Dunn and Jarrid Scott Ristau, Ch. 6 in Chemical Process Retrofitting and Revamping: Techniques and Applications, Wiley Publishers, 2016, p. 167-191.
- Using Vanderbilt’s Chemical Process Innovation Center for Immersive Chemical Engineering Design and Laboratory Courses, Russell F. Dunn and Scott A. Guelcher, American Institute of Chemical Engineers 2015 Annual Meeting, Salt Lake City, UT, November 2015.
- Safety Immersion Education using Vanderbilt’s Chemical Process Innovation Center, Russell F. Dunn and Scott A. Guelcher, American Institute of Chemical Engineers 2015 Annual Meeting, Salt Lake City, UT, November 2015.
- Oxidation and Degradation of Polypropylene Transvaginal Mesh, Scott A. Guelcher, Vladimir Iakovlev, and Russell F. Dunn, IUGA 2015 Annual Conference, Nice, France, April 2015.
- Failure Analysis of Transvaginal Mesh Products – a Biomaterials Perspective Using Materials Science Fundamentals, R. F. Dunn, S. A. Guelcher and V. Iakovlev, American Institute of Chemical Engineers 2014 Annual Meeting, Atlanta, GA, November 2014.
- Water Recycle and Reuse Software Design, R. F. Dunn, K. Debelak and J. Ristau, American Institute of Chemical Engineers 2014 Annual Meeting, Atlanta, GA, November 2014.
- Use of a Commercial-Scale Reverse Osmosis Laboratory Module to Illustrate Interception Technology Applications in Water Pinch Network Design, R. F. Dunn and J. Ristau, American Institute of Chemical Engineers 2014 Annual Meeting, Atlanta, GA, November 2014.
- Starting a Small Engineering Consulting Business – the 10 Year Anniversary of a Startup Company, R. F. Dunn, American Institute of Chemical Engineers 2014 Annual Meeting, Atlanta, GA, November 2014.