Master of Engineering Degree

Program Description

The master of engineering (M.Eng.) is an advanced professional degree awarded by the School of Engineering and especially designed for engineering practitioners who may prefer to work while doing professional study. It is also suitable for individuals who apply directly from undergraduate school but the thrust of the program is toward professional practice in engineering rather than research or teaching. The degree is currently offered in:

Vanderbilt also offers the M.Eng. degree in the following interdisciplinary programs:

Students must complete 30 hours of approved course work. Acceptable course work will have course numbers > 5000 (indicating graduate level courses). A listing of courses offered in each program can be found in the relevant section of the Graduate School catalog. Specific programs may have more detailed requirements on courses that are required for the M.Eng. degree or regarding course credits that must be earned in certain types of courses. More specific information should be sought from the Director of Graduate Studies in the major field of interest.

A maximum of 6 hours of graduate-level course work may be transferred from another institution. Residency requirements are flexible, and a maximum period of seven years is allowed to complete the degree. An extensive, written design report shall be submitted on a project approved by the student’s project adviser.

Ready to learn more?

Intrigued by the idea of transforming your career with a graduate engineering degree? Our admissions team is available to answer any questions you might have. Connect with us today!

Academic Regulations

  • Admission standards

    Admission to the Master of Engineering program normally requires graduation from an approved undergraduate program in engineering or a related scientific discipline, attainment of a B average in undergraduate courses applicable to the student’s career goals, and recommendations containing favorable appraisals of professional promise and attitude. A period of successful work experience prior to application to the program will also be given consideration. Application for admission is done by submitting an application through the online graduate admission system .  Further information about the program may be obtained by writing to the Director of Graduate Studies of a particular program or to the Associate Dean for Graduate Studies. For international students who did not graduate from an institution in a country where English is the official language, proficiency in English must be shown by a minimum score of 89 on the TOEFL or 7 on the IELTS test. For information on Integrated Bachelor and Master of Engineering degrees, see the chapter on Special Programs in the Undergraduate Catalog ( ).

  • Academic Calendar and Important Dates

    For the academic calendar and important dates related to the start/end of the semester, holidays, registration and withdrawal periods, etc., the reader is referred to the academic calendar posted by the University Registrar, 

  • Grading

    Work is graded by letter; A, B, C, and F. A student will not be granted graduate credit for any course in which a grade less than C– is received. Courses with failing (F) grades may be repeated once at the discretion of the course director and the department. In this situation, the more recent grade will be calculated in the final grade point average. The letter I may be used at the discretion of the instructor in those cases in which the student is not able to complete work in the normal time. The notation W is entered onto the transcript when a student withdraws from a course or from the School of Engineering. A grade point average of 3.000 is required for graduation. Letter grades are assigned grade point values as follows:

    A+ = 4.0           B– = 2.7

    A = 4.0             C+ = 2.3

    A– = 3.7           C = 2.0

    B+ = 3.3           C– = 1.7

    B = 3.0            F = 0.0 

    Students receive grades in all courses except those approved for credit/non-credit, audits, and some seminars. An “I” that is not replaced by a letter grade within one year may be changed to the grade F at the discretion of the instructor; otherwise, the “I” may become permanent and remain on the transcript as such.

    Certain courses approved by the graduate faculty for credit/non-credit or Pass/Fail count toward total hours. Courses that are strictly no-credit, however, do not count toward total hours or in calculating grade point average, although grades for such courses are entered on the student’s record.

    With the instructor’s permission, students are permitted to audit certain courses. Students who audit are expected to attend the course regularly. Students must be registered for regular courses in order to audit. Audits are listed on the student’s transcript. Audits are limited to two per semester.

  • Credit Policy

    Credit hours are semester hours; e.g., a three-hour course carries credit of 3 semester hours. One semester credit hour represents at least three hours of academic work per week, on average, for one semester. Academic work includes, but is not necessarily limited to, lectures, laboratory work, homework, research, class readings, independent study, internships, and practica. Some Vanderbilt courses may have requirements that exceed this definition.

    Graduate credit may be transferred from graduate schools in accredited institutions. Transfer is made only on the recommendation of the chair or director of graduate studies of the major department and approval of the Associate Dean for Graduate Studies. A maximum of 6 semester hours of transfer credit may be applied toward the master’s degree. Only those hours in which the student has achieved the grade B or its equivalent will be considered for transfer. Grades earned on transferred credit do not affect the student’s graduate GPA.

    In certain special cases, credit may be transferred for graduate-level course work completed during undergraduate degree studies by a student at another accredited institution. The course hours must be in excess of the minimum required for the undergraduate degree and the course(s) must not be a required part of the undergraduate degree or major. Requests for such transfer of credit must be carefully justified by the student’s major department and approved by the Associate Dean for Graduate Studies.

  • Prior Degrees

    It is the policy of Vanderbilt University to verify prior educational credentials for all admitted students who intend to matriculate. All matriculated students must provide official copies of transcripts and any other required supporting documentation to Vanderbilt University as part of the prior degree verification process. The Office of the University Registrar will review transcripts and other supporting documentation for authenticity and to confirm degrees earned prior to matriculation at Vanderbilt. Offers of admission are contingent on a student providing the required documentation. Students who are not able to provide evidence of prior degrees will not be permitted to register for subsequent terms and may be subject to dismissal from the university.

  • Honor Council

    The Honor Code at Vanderbilt represents a compact of mutual trust between each student and the members of the faculty. Every student is honor bound not to present as his/her own, the work of another student. Faculty members, in turn, do not question the integrity of the students. Jurisdiction of violation of this Honor Code for M.Eng. students has been assigned to the Graduate Honor Council. The purpose of the Graduate Honor Council is to preserve and perpetuate this feeling of mutual trust. Details regarding procedures and guiding principles can be found on the Graduate Student Council website:

  • Student Grievances and Appeals

    Students who have concerns about academic matters should first discuss their concerns with the director of graduate studies in their program or, if necessary, the chair of the department.   Formal complaints, grievances, or appeals should be submitted in writing to the Director of Graduate Studies, School of Engineering.

Financial Information

Tuition for M.Eng. students is charged at the same rate as tuition in the graduate school (for 2023/2024 at the rate of $2,281 per semester hour with a minimum tuition charge of $200 per semester). Tuition and fees are set annually by the Board of Trust and are subject to review and change without further notice.

  • Payment of Tuition and Fees

    Tuition, fees, and all other university charges incurred prior to or at registration are due and payment must be received by August 31 for the fall semester and December 31 for the spring semester. All charges incurred after classes begin are due and payment must be received in full by the last business day of the month in which they are billed to the student. If payment is not made within that time, your classes may be canceled. Visit  for payment options.

    Students/Guarantors will be responsible for payment of all costs, including reasonable attorney fees and collection agency fees, incurred by the university in collecting monies owed to the university. The university will assess a $25.00 fee for any check or e-payment returned by the bank and reserves the right to invoke the laws of the State of Tennessee governing bad check laws.

  • E-Billing and Access to a Student’s Vanderbilt Account

    Vanderbilt exclusively uses convenient and secure electronic billing (e-bills) for student account charges. Students may need to take action to enable parents, guardians, and other “invited payers” to receive e-bill notices and access to the e-bill website. Students may access their online invoices from their YES landing page at Once they have signed in to YES, they may view invoices under the Billing Portal link.

    Students are responsible for granting access to parents, guardians, or other payers who should receive email billing notifications. To do this, students log in to YES and click the “billing portal link.” On your CashNet Account page, click “Add New” in the “Other Payers” section. Enter the information that is requested, and click “OK.” (You must enter the “login name” that your authorized payer will use as a username—the logon and password will be sent to your authorized payer in an email.) Tutorials are located online at . Any month in which there is activity on the student’s account, an e-bill will be generated and an email notification sent to the student’s Vanderbilt email address, as well as to the email addresses of others they have invited. The email notification will have the subject line “Your E-Bill Is Now Available for Viewing” and will contain a link to the secure e-bill website. Payments may be made electronically, or for those wishing to mail a payment, a payment coupon can be printed. When an electronic payment is made, a confirmation email will be sent. It remains the responsibility of the student to ensure that bills are paid on or before the due date.

    The Office of Student Accounts can be contacted at (615) 322-6693, toll-free at (800) 288-1144, or via email at For additional information, please visit the Student Accounts website at .

  • Refunds of Tuition Charges

    University policy for the refund of tuition charges provides a percentage refund based on the time of withdrawal. Students who withdraw officially or are dismissed from the university for any reason may be entitled to a partial refund in accordance with the established schedule below. Fees are nonrefundable.

  • Withdrawal / Refund Schedule:

    The schedule to withdraw from courses and the tuition refund schedule for the M.Eng. program is the same as that used for the undergraduate students and can be found on the Student Accounts website at

  • Payment Options

    Direct Payment: Tuition, fees, and all other charges are paid directly to the university. Payment for the fall semester is due by August 31. Payment for the spring semester is due by December 31. Students can pay online after viewing their e-bill at . There is no further action required for this option.

    Interest-Free Monthly Payment Plan: Students can spread payment over five monthly installments for each semester (fall and spring), interest free, by enrolling in the VANDYPlan, currently administered by Higher One. Details and important dates can be found at:  For further information, please contact the Office of Student Accounts at (615) 322-6693 or (800) 288-1144.

  • Late Payment of Fees

    All charges not paid by the specified due dates will be assessed a late payment fee of $1.50 on each $100 owed (minimum late fee of $5).

  • Financial Clearance

    No transcript (official or unofficial) will be issued for a student who has an outstanding balance. Diplomas of graduating students will not be released until all indebtedness to the university is cleared.

University Resources

  • Facilities

    The School of Engineering is housed in 5 main buildings with several satellite facilities. William W. Featheringill Hall which houses a three-story atrium designed for student interaction and social events, more than fifty teaching and research laboratories with the latest equipment and computer resources, and project rooms. The new Engineering and Science building is an eight story state of the art building that houses the Innovation Center, numerous research labs, interactive class rooms, clean rooms and space for students to work, study and socialize. School administrative offices and several classrooms are located on the ground floor of the Science and Engineering building in Stevenson Center, which also houses the Biomedical Engineering Department on the 8th and 9th floors. Jacobs Hall, which flanks Featheringill Hall, contains laboratories, office and classrooms serving both the Civil and Environmental Engineering Department and the Electrical Engineering and Computer Science Department. The Olin Hall of Engineering houses Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering, Mechanical Engineering and Materials Science. Several other satellite facilities that are part of the Engineering School include: the W. M. Keck Free Electron Laser Center building, housing the labs and offices of the Biomedical Photonics Center; the LASIR (laboratory for systems integrity and reliability), a hangar-style facility located off-campus dedicated to scaling up experiments to realistic and full size, including a wind tunnel and military aircraft; the MuMS facility (multiscale modeling and simulation); the Vanderbilt Institute of Software Integrated Systems; and the Institute for Space and Defense Electronics, providing office space, dry laboratories and conference space.

    In all its engineering programs, Vanderbilt recognizes the valid place of experimental and research laboratories in the learning experience. Laboratories are planned to provide the strongest personal contact between students and faculty members consistent with enrollment. Well-equipped undergraduate laboratories are maintained by the Departments of Chemistry and Physics in the College of Arts and Science, which offers mathematics and basic science courses required of all engineering students. Graduate and undergraduate divisions of these departments maintain teaching and research facilities in the Stevenson Center for the Natural Sciences, as does the Department of Earth and Environmental Sciences. Another supporting department, Biological Sciences, is housed in Medical Research Building III.

  • The Libraries

    Vanderbilt University’s libraries are among the top research libraries in the nation, home to more than nine million items, including print publications, digital collections, film, and other media. The libraries provide electronic access to tens of thousands of full-text journals, more than 1.5 million e-books, data and information resources accessible via the campus network, and authenticated access (VUnetID and e-password) from off campus. The libraries’ website provides a portal to premium and valuable content, information about library services, workshops, programs, exhibits, research guides, and librarian subject specialists.

    Library staff teach students valuable academic and lifelong skills for locating and evaluating the latest information in a complex array of sources. Campus libraries are home to professional librarians with subject expertise, who provide help in their discipline. Students can connect with a librarian in person, or ask questions through the library website. Library spaces have options for quiet individual study, which are complemented by group study spaces and instructional rooms, as well as learning commons and cafes. Exhibits throughout the libraries offer intellectual and creative insights that encourage students to see their own work in new ways. Students, faculty, and staff may come to the library to read in a cozy nook, meet friends for group study, grab a quick meal, or see an exhibit. The oldest manuscript in the library’s collection dates from c. 1300 and new publications are being added every day.

  • Information Technology

    Vanderbilt University Information Technology (VUIT) offers voice, video, data, computing, and conferencing services to Vanderbilt students, faculty, and staff. VUIT provides free antivirus downloads and malware prevention in many campus areas. VUIT maintains and supports VUnet, the campuswide data network that provides access to the Internet, and AccessVU, the authentication service that enables Vanderbilt users to securely identify themselves to many services on VUnet. Those services include YES, Your Enrollment Services; Blackboard; and Vmail, the university’s email system. VUIT also partners with Sprint, Verizon, and AT&T to offer discounts for cellular phone service. For discount information see . It is important to note that many wireless consumer electronic devices interfere with VUnet, and in worst-case circumstances, could even cause degradation to network service. These devices are prohibited and include, but are not limited to, routers, access points (APs), or AirPorts manufactured by companies such as Apple, Belkin, D-Link, and Linksys. Additionally, settings for smartphone hotspots and wireless connectivity for printers and other devices must be disabled to prevent interference with university wireless APs. Vanderbilt offers all students low-cost and free-of-charge software, including Microsoft Office and Microsoft Windows. See  for a complete product catalog and more information. Furthermore, VUIT provides various conferencing and collaboration services for students, including audio and video conferencing via a desktop or a Polycom bridge. Vanderbilt’s blog service offers WordPress Blogs at . See for more information. The Tech Hub is the help desk at Vanderbilt that provides information to students, faculty, and staff about VUnet and VUnet services. Its locations, hours, contacts, and other information can be found at . For more information on IT services and computing at Vanderbilt, go to

  • Official University Communications

    Certain federal statutes require that information be delivered to each student. Vanderbilt delivers much of this information via email. Official electronic notifications, including those required by statutes, those required by university policy, and instructions from university officials, will be sent to students’ Vanderbilt email addresses: Students are required to be familiar with the contents of official university notifications, and to respond to instructions and other official correspondence requiring a response. Some messages will include links to the YES Communications Tool, which is a secure channel for official communication of a confidential nature. The university makes every effort to avoid inundating students with nonessential email (often called “spam”), and maintains separate lists from which students may unsubscribe for announcements of general interest.

  • Student Records (Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act)

    Vanderbilt University is subject to the provisions of federal law known as the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (also referred to as FERPA). This act affords matriculated students certain rights with respect to their educational records. These rights include:

    1.   The right to inspect and review their education records within 45 days of the day the University receives a request for access. Students should submit to the University Registrar written requests that identify the record(s) they wish to inspect. The University Registrar will make arrangements for access and notify the student of the time and place where the records may be inspected. If the University Registrar does not maintain the records, the student will be directed to the University official to whom the request should be addressed.

    2.   The right to request the amendment of any part of their education records that a student believes is inaccurate or misleading. Students who wish to request an amendment to their educational record should write the University official responsible for the record, clearly identify the part of the record they want changed, and specify why it is inaccurate or misleading. If the University decides not to amend the record as requested by the student, the student will be notified of the decision and advised of his or her right to a hearing.

    3.   The right to consent to disclosures of personally identifiable information contained in the student’s education records to third parties, except in situations that FERPA allows disclosure without the student’s consent. These exceptions include:

    •    Disclosure to school officials with legitimate educational interests. A “school official” is a person employed by the University in an administrative, supervisory, academic or research, or support-staff position (including University law enforcement personnel and health staff); contractors, consultants, and other outside service providers with whom the University has contracted; a member of the Board of Trust; or a student serving on an official University committee, such as the Honor Council, Student Conduct Council, or a grievance committee, or assisting another school official in performing his or her tasks. A school official has a legitimate educational interest if the official needs to review an education record in order to fulfill his or her professional responsibility.

    •    Disclosure to parents if the student is a dependent for tax purposes.

    •    Disclosure to appropriate individuals (e.g., parents/guardians, spouses, housing staff, health care personnel, police, etc.) where disclosure is in connection with a health or safety emergency and knowledge of such information is necessary to protect the health or safety of the student or other individuals.

    •    Disclosure to a parent or legal guardian of a student, information regarding the student’s violation of any federal, state, or local law, or of any rule or policy of the institution, governing the use or possession of alcohol or a controlled substance if the University has determined that the student has committed a disciplinary violation with respect to the use or possession and the student is under the age of 21 at the time of the disclosure to the parent/guardian.

    FERPA provides the University the ability to designate certain student information as “directory information.” Directory information may be made available to any person without the student’s consent unless the student gives notice as provided for, below. Vanderbilt has designated the following as directory information: the student’s name, address, telephone number, email address, student ID photos, major field of study, school, classification, participation in officially recognized activities and sports, weights and heights of members of athletic teams, dates of attendance, degrees and awards received, the most recent previous educational agency or institution attended by the student, and other information that would not generally be considered harmful or an invasion of privacy if disclosed. Any student who does not wish disclosure of directory information should notify the University Registrar in writing. No element of directory information as defined above is released for students who request nondisclosure except as required by statute.

    The request for nondisclosure does not apply to class rosters in online class management applications, or to residential rosters, or rosters of groups a student may join voluntarily in online, co-curricular engagement applications, or rosters of other information on the websites of student organizations that a student may join. Neither class rosters in online class management applications, nor residential rosters in online co-curricular engagement applications, are available to the public.

    As of January 3, 2012, the U.S. Department of Education’s FERPA regulations expand the circumstances under which students’ education records and personally identifiable information (PII) contained in such records—including Social Security Numbers, grades, or other private information—may be accessed without consent. First, the U.S. Comptroller General, the U.S. Attorney General, the U.S. Secretary of Education, or state and local education authorities (“Federal and State Authorities”) may allow access to student records and PII without consent to any third party designated by a Federal or State Authority to evaluate a federal- or state-supported education program. The evaluation may relate to any program that is “principally engaged in the provision of education,” such as early childhood education and job training, as well as any program that is administered by an education agency or institution.  

    Second, Federal and State Authorities may allow access to education records and PII without consent, to researchers performing certain types of studies, in certain cases even when the University objects to or does not request such research. Federal and State Authorities must obtain certain use-restriction and data security promises from the third parties that they authorize to receive PII, but the Authorities need not maintain direct control over the third parties.

    In addition, in connection with Statewide Longitudinal Data Systems, State Authorities may collect, compile, permanently retain, and share without student consent, PII from education records, and may track student participation in education and other programs by linking such PII to other personal information that they obtain from other Federal or State data sources, including workforce development, unemployment insurance, child welfare, juvenile justice, military service, and migrant student records systems.

    If a student believes the University has failed to comply with FERPA, he or she may file a complaint using the Student Complaint and Grievance Procedures as outlined in the Student Handbook. If dissatisfied with the outcome of this procedure, students may file a written complaint with the Family Policy Compliance Office, U.S. Department of Education, 400 Maryland Avenue SW, Washington, DC 20202-5920. Questions about the application of the provisions of the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act should be directed to the University Registrar or to the Office of General Counsel.

  • Vanderbilt Directory

    Individual listings in the online People Finder Directory consist of the student’s full name, Vanderbilt email address, and campus mailing address (if available). Students may elect to add additional contact information to their listings, including school, academic classification, local phone number, local address, permanent address, cellphone, pager, and fax numbers.

    Student listings in the People Finder Directory are available to the Vanderbilt community via logon ID and e-password. Students may choose to make their online People Finder listings available to the general public (i.e., viewable by anyone with access to the internet), or to block individual directory items. Students who have placed a directory hold with the University Registrar will not be listed in the online directory.

    Directory information should be kept current. Students may report address changes, emergency contact information, and missing person contact information via the web by logging in to YES (Your Enrollment Services) https://yes.vanderbilt.eduand clicking on the Address Change link.

  • Services for Students with Disabilities

    Vanderbilt is committed to the provisions of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 and Americans with Disabilities Act as it strives to be an inclusive community for students with disabilities. Students seeking accommodations for any type of disability are encouraged to contact the Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action, and Disability Services Department. Services include, but are not limited to, extended time for testing, assistance with locating sign language interpreters, audiotaped textbooks, physical adaptations, notetakers, and reading services. Accommodations are tailored to meet the needs of each student with a documented disability. Specific concerns pertaining to services for people with disabilities or any disability issue should be directed to the Disability Program Director, Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action, and Disability Services Department (EAD), PMB 401809, 2301 Vanderbilt Place, Nashville, Tennessee 37240-1809; phone (615) 322-4705 (V/TDD); fax (615) 343-0671; .

  • Nondiscrimination, Anti-Harassment, and Anti-Retaliation

    The Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action, and Disability Services Department investigates allegations of prohibited discrimination, harassment, and retaliation involving members of the Vanderbilt community. This includes allegations of sexual misconduct and other forms of power-based personal violence. Vanderbilt’s Title IX coordinator is Anita Jenious, EAD director. If you believe that a member of the Vanderbilt community has engaged in prohibited discrimination, harassment, or retaliation, please contact the EAD. If the offense is criminal in nature, you may file a report with Vanderbilt University Police Department (VUPD).

    The EAD also facilitates interim accommodations for students impacted by sexual misconduct and power-based personal violence. Some examples of interim accommodations include stay-away orders, adjusted course schedules, and housing changes. Specific concerns pertaining to prohibited discrimination, harassment, or retaliation, including allegations of sexual misconduct and other forms of power-based personal violence, should be directed to the Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action, and Disability Services Department (EAD), PMB 401809, 2301 Vanderbilt Place, Nashville, Tennessee 37240-1809; phone (615) 322-4705 (V/TDD); fax (615) 343-0671; .

  • Psychological and Counseling Center

    As part of the Vanderbilt University Medical Center, the PCC supports the mental health needs of all students to help them reach their academic and personal goals. Highly skilled and multidisciplinary staff collaborates with students to provide evidence-based treatment plans tailored to each individual’s unique background and needs. The PCC also emphasizes prevention through collaboration with campus partners, providing outreach and consultation focused on the development of the skills and self-awareness needed to excel in a challenging educational environment. The PCC’s psychologists, licensed counselors, and psychiatric medical providers are available to any Vanderbilt student and address a range of student needs including stress management, crisis intervention, substance abuse counseling, management of medications, individual counseling, group counseling, biofeedback, emergency assessments, and psychiatric assessment and treatment. The PCC provides a team approach to the care of students with eating disorders and students who have experienced trauma as well as students needing both counseling and medication management. There is an on-call provider after hours and on weekends for emergency calls. The PCC provides screening and full assessment when indicated for ADHD and learning disorders. The PCC has a team that specializes in treatment of substance misuse and collaborates with the Center for Student Wellbeing to incorporate prevention and treatment resources. The PCC also houses a Mind Body Lab. This room is designed with the objective of enhancing mindfulness by providing tools to manage stress, increase personal resilience, and promote compassion and academic success. Students may book a forty-five-minute session in the PCC Mind Body Lab by calling the PCC at (615) 322-2571 or by stopping by the front desk. Students and their parents are encouraged to make contact with the PCC prior to the start of the school year if the student has a history of mental health care needs. This will help facilitate the transition of care and ensure that students and parents are fully aware of PCC resources. Contact the center at (615) 322-2571 for more information. There is no charge for services with the exceptions of reduced fees for LD/ADHD screening and assessment and specific disability assessments when needed for academic or environmental accommodations. Over the course of a year, approximately 20 percent of the Vanderbilt student population will seek out the services of the PCC. Throughout the year, the PCC team members also produce presentations, including educational programs, thematic presentations, and special events, focused on education of the Vanderbilt community about mental health issues and resources. The PCC is proud to provide a program focusing on suicide prevention and mental health awareness at Vanderbilt called MAPS: Mental Health Awareness and the Prevention of Suicide. For more information, visit .

  • Project Safe Center

    The Project Safe Center partners with students, faculty, and staff to create a campus culture that rejects sexual violence and serves as a resource for all members of the Vanderbilt community. Operating under the auspices of the Office of the Dean of Students, the Project Safe Center provides support to survivors of sexual violence and engages the campus community in bystander intervention efforts and sexual assault prevention. Green Dot, a bystander intervention program used by colleges and communities nationwide, an online education module addressing power-based violence, and a variety of programs and presentations on consent, healthy relationships, and violence prevention are available through the Project Safe Center. A 24-hour support hotline answered by Project Safe’s victim resource specialists is available at (615) 322-SAFE (7233). The Project Safe Center located at 304 West Side Row is open Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. For more information, please call (615) 875-0660 or visit .

  • Student Health Center

    The Student Health Center provides primary care services for students and is staffed by physicians, nurse practitioners, nurses, and a lab technician. The Student Health Center provides services similar to those provided in a private physician’s office or HMO, including routine medical care, specialty care (e.g. nutrition and sports medicine), and some routine lab tests. Most of the services students receive at the Student Health Center are pre-paid, but those services that are not are the responsibility of students to coordinate with their health insurance. When the university is in session, during fall and spring semesters, the Student Health Center is open Monday through Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., and Saturdays from 8:30 a.m. to noon. Students should call ahead to schedule an appointment at (615) 322-2427. Students with urgent problems will be seen on a same-day basis. They will be given an appointment that day, or “worked in” on a first-come, first-served basis if no appointments are available. Emergency consultations services (at (615) 322-2427) are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week from on-call professionals. For more detailed information on the services available at the Student Health Center and information on other health related topics, please visit the Student Health Center website at .

  • Immunization Requirements

    The State of Tennessee requires certain immunizations for all students on university campuses. As such, Vanderbilt University will block student registration for those who are not in compliance with the requirements.

    The requirements include:

    1.   Meningococcal meningitis vaccine (one injection) within four years of enrollment for all incoming students living in on-campus housing.

    2.   Varicella vaccine (two injections) is required for all students who have not had documented chickenpox history.

    3.   Measles, mumps, and rubella (2 injections) for all incoming students.

    The Student Health Center requires all incoming students to complete a Health Questionnaire that includes further information regarding the state-mandated vaccinations, as well as information on other strongly recommended vaccinations. Information regarding this Health Questionnaire is communicated to students by email after admission to Vanderbilt University. This Health Questionnaire must be returned to the Student Health Center by May 15 with vaccination information. Students should go to  in order to access more information regarding the immunization requirements. This site also contains links to the PDFs of the required forms. All vaccines can be administered at either a private provider office, retail pharmacy clinic, or the Student Health Center.

  • International Student and Scholar Services

    International Student and Scholar Services (ISSS), located in the Student Life Center, fosters the education and development of nonimmigrant students and scholars to enable them to achieve their academic and professional goals and objectives. ISSS provides advice, counseling, and advocacy regarding immigration, cross-cultural, and personal matters. ISSS supports an environment conducive to international education and intercultural awareness via educational, social, and cross-cultural programs. ISSS provides immigration advising and services, including the processing of immigration paperwork, to more than 1,500 international students and scholars. The office works with admission units, schools, and departments to generate documentation needed to bring nonimmigrant students and scholars to the U.S. Further, ISSS keeps abreast of the regulations pertaining to international students and scholars in accordance with the Department of Homeland Security (Bureau of Citizenship and Immigration Services) and the Department of State. ISSS coordinates semiannual orientation programs for students and ongoing orientations for scholars, who arrive throughout the year. More information can be found at .

    To help promote connection between international students and the greater Nashville community, ISSS coordinates the First Friends program, which matches international students with Americans both on and off campus for friendship and cross-cultural exchange. The weekly World on Wednesday presentations inform, broaden perspectives, and facilitate cross-cultural understanding through discussions led by students, faculty, and staff. International Education Week in the fall provides the campus with additional opportunities to learn about world cultures and to celebrate diversity. The International Lens Film Series (iLens) brings more than forty international films to campus each year. ISSS provides a range of programs and activities throughout the year to address a variety of international student needs and interests. These programs include International Orientation Leaders and a selection of holiday parties. The Southern Culture Series is an opportunity for students to experience Southern culture in nearby cities such as Memphis, Chattanooga, and Atlanta.

  • Obtaining Information about the University

    Notice to current and prospective students: In compliance with applicable state and federal law, the following information about Vanderbilt University is available: Institutional information about Vanderbilt University, including accreditation, academic programs, faculty, tuition, and other costs, is available in the catalogs of the colleges and schools on the Vanderbilt University website at A paper copy of the Undergraduate Catalog may be obtained by contacting the Office of Undergraduate Admissions, 2305 West End Avenue, Nashville, Tennessee 37203-1727, (800) 288-0432, (615) 322-2561,

    Paper copies of the catalogs for the graduate and professional schools may be available from the individual schools. Information about financial aid for students at Vanderbilt University, including federal and other forms of financial aid for students, is available from the Office of Student Financial Aid on the Vanderbilt University website at . The Office of Student Financial Aid is located at 2309 West End Avenue, Nashville, Tennessee 37203-1725, (615) 322-3591 or (800) 288-0204.

    Information about graduation rates for students at Vanderbilt University is available on the Vanderbilt University website at Select “Factbook,” then “Student,” then “Retention/Graduation Rates.” Paper copies of information about graduation rates may be obtained by writing the Office of the University Registrar, Vanderbilt University, PMB 407701, 2301 Vanderbilt Place, Nashville, Tennessee 37240-7701 or by calling (615) 322-7701.

    The Vanderbilt University Annual Security Report on university-wide security and safety, including related policies, procedures, and crime statistics, is available from the Vanderbilt University Police Department on the university website at . A paper copy of the report may be obtained by writing the Vanderbilt University Police Department, 2800 Vanderbilt Place, Nashville, Tennessee 37212 or by calling (615) 343-9750. For more information, see “Vanderbilt University Police Department” in the Graduate catalog.

    A copy of the annual Equity in Athletics Disclosure Act Report on the Vanderbilt University athletic program participation rates and financial support data may be obtained by writing the Vanderbilt University Office of Athletic Compliance, 2601 Jess Neely Drive, P.O. Box 120158, Nashville, Tennessee 37212 or by calling (615) 322-7992.

    Information about your rights with respect to the privacy of your educational records under the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act is available from the Office of the University Registrar on the Vanderbilt University website at . Paper copies of this information about educational records may be obtained by writing the Office of the University Registrar, Vanderbilt University, PMB 407701, 2301 Vanderbilt Place, Nashville, Tennessee 37240-7701 or by calling (615) 322-7701. For more information, see “Confidentiality of Student Records” in the following section of this catalog.

  • Additional Services

    Additional services (including The Writing Studio, Office of LGBTQI Life, Parking and Traffic, etc.) can be found in the Undergraduate Catalog ( ) and the Graduate Catalog ( ).