Research Assistant Professor
My research interest focuses on the use of systems and synthetic biology tools to study and engineer intracellular metabolism to optimize the biomanufacturing of renewable resources. My current research efforts include understanding the metabolic regulation of photosynthetic microorganisms such as cyanobacteria and microalgae, and metabolic engineering of these microorganisms to convert CO2 and light into biofuels and commodity chemicals.
1. Bo Wang, Jamey D. Young*. 13C-Isotope-Assisted Assessment of Metabolic Quenching During Sample Collection from Suspension Cell Cultures. Analytical Chemistry 2022, 94, 7787−7794. (IF=8.008)
2. Lizhen Hu#, Shuqi Guo#, Bo Wang#, Rongzhan Fu, Daidi Fan, Min Jiang, Qiang Fei*, Ramon Gonzalez. Bio-valorization of C1 gaseous substrates into bioalcohols: potentials and challenges in reducing carbon emissions. Biotechnology Advances 2022, 107954. (# co-first authors; IF=14.227)
3. Bo Wang*, Yao Xu, Xin Wang, Joshua Yuan, Carl Johnson, Jamey Young, Jianping Yu*. A guanidine-degrading enzyme controls genomic stability of ethylene-producing cyanobacteria. Nature Communications 2021, 12: 5150. (IF=14.919)
4. Bo Wang, Tao Dong, Aldon Myrlie, Liping Gu, Wei Xiong, PinChing Maness, Ruanbao Zhou, Jianping Yu*. Photosynthetic production of nitrogen-rich compound guanidine. Green Chemistry 2019, 21:2928-2937. (IF=9.405)
5. Bo Wang*, Jamey.D. Young, Yao Xu*. Reprogramming metabolic networks and manipulating circadian clocks for biotechnological applications. In the book Circadian Rhythms in Bacteria and Microbiomes edited by Carl H. Johnson & Michael Rust, p259 – 296. Publisher: Springer Nature, Cham. 2021.
6. Bo Wang#*, Wei Xiong#, Jianping Yu, Pin-Ching Maness, Deirdre R. Meldrum*. Unlocking the photobiological conversion of CO2 to (R)-3-hydroxybutyrate in cyanobacteria. Green Chemistry 2018, 20:3772-3782. (IF=9.405)
7. Bo Wang, Carrie Eckert, Pin-Ching Maness, Jianping Yu*. A genetic toolbox for modulating the expression of heterologous genes in the cyanobacterium Synechocystis sp. PCC 6803. ACS Synthetic Biology 2018, 7:276-286. (IF=5.571)
8. Bo Wang, Jianping Yu, Weiwen Zhang*, Deirdre R. Meldrum*. Pre-methylation of foreign DNA improves integrative transformation efficiency in Synechocystis sp. PCC 6803. Applied and Environmental Microbiology 2015, 81:8500-8506. (IF=4.077)
9. Bo Wang, Shawn Pugh, David R. Nielsen, Weiwen Zhang*, Deirdre R. Meldrum*. Engineering cyanobacteria for photosynthetic production of 3-hydroxybutyrate directly from CO2. Metabolic Engineering 2013, 16:68-77. (IF=7.808)
10. Bo Wang*, Jiangxin Wang, Weiwen Zhang, Deirdre R. Meldrum*. Application of synthetic biology in cyanobacteria and algae. Frontiers in Microbiology 2012, 3:344. (IF=4.259)