Associate Professor of Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering
Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering
The focus of our research is on surfaces, interfaces, and films of technically important materials. We work to establish relationships between the processing parameters, the material properties, and finally the performance of the film in its proposed application. We create films using chemical vapor deposition and characterize them using spectroscopic ellipsometry, medium energy ion beam backscattering, Rutherford backscattering spectrometry, Auger electron spectroscopy, x-ray photoelectron spectroscopy, and x-ray diffraction. We currently have three project thrusts.
UHV-CVD reactor used for process-property-performance studies.
- UHV-CVD of Alumina and Zirconia thin films for high-permittivity gate dielectrics. Application- CMOS transistors.
- Understanding the effects of high temperature, dissociated oxygen/nitrogen environments on ultra-high temperature ceramic composites (eg. Hf(Zr)B 2 /SiC). Application- Sharp leading edges and control surfaces for hypersonic flight.
- Engineer coatings that will perform in high-temperature, high-flow, reactive environments. Applications: Carbon composites for use in harsh environments
TEM cross-sections of zirconia films deposited
on hydrogen-terminated (a,b) and native oxide (c,d) silicon surfaces
Spectroscopic ellipsometer used to characterize materials.
- Zarick, H.F., W.R. Erwin, J. Aufrecht, A. Coppola, B.R. Rogers, C.L. Pint, and R. Bardhan, Morphological Modulation of Bimetallic Nanostructures for Accelerated Catalysis. Journal of Materials Chemistry A, 2014. 2(19): p. 7088-7098.
- Gollub, S.L., R.R. Harl, B.R. Rogers, and D.G. Walker, Displacement Damage from Particle Radiation in Yttrium Borate Phosphor Doped with Cerium(III) or Europium(III). Journal of Luminescence, 2014. 148(0): p. 267-273.
- Weeden-Wright, S.L., S.L. Gollub, R. Harl, A.B. Hmelo, D.M. Fleetwood, B.R. Rogers, R.D. Schrimpf, and D.G. Walker, Radiation Effects on the Photoluminescence of Rare-Earth Doped Pyrochlore Powders. IEEE Transactions on Nuclear Science, 2013. 60(4): p. 2444-9.
- Rinnerbauer, V., J.J. Senkevich, J.D. Joannopoulos, M. SoljaCic, I. Celanovic, R.R. Harl, and B.R. Rogers, Low Emissivity High-Temperature Tantalum Thin Film Coatings for Silicon Devices. Journal of Vacuum Science & Technology A: Vacuum, Surfaces, and Films, 2013. 31(1): p. 011501-5.
- Escobar, C.A., R.R. Harl, K.E. Maxwell, N.N. Mahfuz, B.R. Rogers, and G.K. Jennings, Amplification of Surface-Initiated Ring-Opening Metathesis Polymerization of 5-(Perfluoro-N-Alkyl)Norbornenes by Macroinitiation. Langmuir, 2013. 29(40): p. 12560-12571.
- Bhandaru, S., E.X. Zhang, D.M. Fleetwood, R.A. Reed, R.A. Weller, R.R. Harl, B.R. Rogers, and S.M. Weiss, Accelerated Oxidation of Silicon Due to X-Ray Irradiation. IEEE Transactions on Nuclear Science, 2012. 59(4): p. 781-785.
- Tuberquia, J.C., N. Nizamidin, R.R. Harl, J. Albert, J. Hunter, B.R. Rogers, and G.K. Jennings, Surface-Initiated Polymerization of Superhydrophobic Polymethylene. Journal of the American Chemical Society, 2010. 132(16): p. 5725-5734.
- Schmidt, B.W., B.R. Rogers, W.J. Sweet III, C.K. Gren, and T.P. Hanusa, Deposition of Alumina from Dimethylaluminum Isopropoxide. Journal of the European Ceramic Society, 2010. 30(11): p. 2301-2304.
- Schmidt, B., B. Rogers, C. Gren, and T. Hanusa, Carbon Incorporation in Chemical Vapor Deposited Aluminum Oxide Films. Thin Solid Films, 2010: p. 3658-3663.
- Pejakovic, D.A., J. Marschall, M.R. George, B.R. Rogers, W.R. Nieveen, and V. Pajcini, Synthesis of Carbon-Rich Hafnia Thin Films by Pulsed Laser Deposition. Journal of the European Ceramic Society, 2010. 30(11): p. 2289-2300.
- Koktysh, D.S., J.R. McBride, R.D. Geil, B.W. Schmidt, B.R. Rogers, and S.J. Rosenthal, Facile Route to Sns Nanocrystals and Their Characterization. Materials Science and Engineering B: Solid-State Materials for Advanced Technology, 2010. 170(1-3): p. 117-122.
- Hasan, S.A., J.L. Rigueur, R.R. Harl, A.J. Krejci, I. Gonzalo-Juan, B.R. Rogers, and J.H. Dickerson, Transferable Graphene Oxide Films with Tunable Microstructures. ACS Nano, 2010. 4(12): p. 7367-7372.
- Burst, J.M., T.J. Peshek, T.A. Gessert, T.J. Coutts, L. XiaoNan, D. Levi, S.M. Weiss, and B.R. Rogers. RF-Sputtered ITO and ITO:Zr Studied by in Situ Spectroscopic Ellipsometry. in 2010 35th IEEE Photovoltaic Specialists Conference (PVSC), 20-25 June 2010. 2010. Piscataway, NJ, USA: IEEE.
- Park, H., J. Qi, Y. Xu, K. Varga, S.M. Weiss, B.R. Rogers, G. Lupke, and N. Tolk, Characterization of Boron Charge Traps at the Interface of Si/SiO2 Using Second Harmonic Generation. Applied Physics Letters, 2009. 95(6): p. 062102.