Professor of Civil and Environmental Engineering
Professor of Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering
Director of Graduate Studies in Environmental Engineering
Chemo-mechanical behavior and long-term performance of cement-based composites; Nanoscale behavior and nanomodification of cement and concrete materials; 3D printing of infrastructure materials; Mechanical/chemical/energy responses at material interfaces; Nanoscale interfacial interactions and dynamics in heterogeneous materials; Chemomechanically adaptive materials; Coupled chemo-transport-mechanical modeling
Dr. Sanchez’s professional service activities include Chair of the American Ceramic Society’s Cements Division (2009-2010); Organizer and Program Chair of the 2nd Advances in Cement-based Materials of the American Ceramic Society’s Cements Division meeting (2011), Organizer and Chair of the NSF funded US-Poland Workshop on Multiscale Computational Modeling of Cementitious Materials (October 2012) and NSF funded 3D Cement Printing workshop (July 2015); Associate Editor, ASCE Journal of Materials in Civil Engineering (2013-present); Appointed Member of the Transportation Research Board Task Force on Nanotechnology-Based Concrete Materials (TRB AFN15T of the National Academies); and Member of the American Concrete Institute's committees on Materials Science of Concrete (ACI 236) and Nanotechnology of Concrete (ACI 241).
Professor Sanchez is the recipient of a National Science Foundation (NSF) CAREER award in 2006.
• Stephens C, Brown L, Sanchez F. Quantification of the re-agglomeration of carbon nanofiber aqueous dispersion in cement pastes and effect on the early age flexural response. Carbon. 2016;107:482-500. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.carbon.2016.05.076
• Brown, L. and Sanchez, F. Influence of carbon nanofiber clustering on the chemo-mechanical behavior of cement pastes. Cement and Concrete Composites, 65: 101-109. 2016. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.cemconcomp.2015.10.008.
• Sanchez F, Sobolev K. Nanotechnology in concrete: A review. Construct Build Mater. 2010;24(11):2060-71. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.conbuildmat.2010.03.014
• Sanchez F, Borwankar A. Multi-scale performance of carbon microfiber reinforced cement-based composites exposed to a decalcifying environment. Mater Sci Eng, A. 2010;527(1314):3151-8. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.msea.2010.01.084
• Sanchez F, Zhang L. Interaction energies, structure, and dynamics at functionalized graphitic structure-liquid phase interfaces in an aqueous calcium sulfate solution by molecular dynamics simulation. Carbon. 2010;48(4):1210-23. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.carbon.2009.11.044
• Sanchez F, Zhang L. Molecular dynamics modeling of the interface between surface functionalized graphitic structures and calcium-silicate-hydrate: Interaction energies, structure, and dynamics. J Colloid Interface Sci. 2008;323(2):349-58. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jcis.2008.04.023
Click here to visit the Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering