Georgia Institute of Technology
M.S., Medical Engineering
Assistant Professor of Biomedical Engineering
Assistant Professor of Cardiovascular Medicine
Combinatorial Biomaterials and Biointerface, Stem Cell Engineering, Engineering Aspect of Cardiovascular Medicine, and Tissue Engineering.
The major research areas in the Sung lab are polymeric biomaterials-based matrix engineering, cellular engineering, tissue engineering, and therapeutic engineering which involve a multifaceted approach that combines state of the art biomaterial systems, engineering tools, and chemical/biochemical/biological methodologies. The research goal of the Sung lab is to identify the underlying mechanisms by which cells and tissues interact with polymeric matrix from nano to organ scales and coordinate dynamic physicochemical/biological signals to change their microenvironments, and to apply this knowledge to develop the next generation of polymeric biomaterials for regenerative medicine and medical device technologies.
- Lee SH, Lee YK, Chun YW, Crowder SW, Young PP, Park KD, and Sung HJ*, "In Situ Crosslinkable Gelatin Hydrogels for Vasculogenic Induction and Delivery of Mesenchymal Stem Cells." Advanced Functional Materials (in press).
- Zachman AL, Wang X, Tucker-Schwartz J, Fitzpatrick S, Lee, SH, Guelcher, SA, Skala MC, and Sung HJ*, "Uncoupling Angiogenesis and Inflammation in Peripheral Artery Disease with Therapeutic Peptide-loaded Microgels." Biomaterials (in press).
- Wang X†, Zachman AL†, Chun YW, Shen FW, Hwang YS, and Sung HJ*, "Polymeric stent materials dysregulate macrophage and endothelial cell functions: implications for coronary artery stent." International Journal of Cardiology [PMID: 24820736]. (†: equal first author)
- Zachman AL, Hofmeister LH, Costa L, Boire TC, Hwang Y, Hofmeister WH, Sung HJ*, "Femtosecond laser-patterned nanopore arrays for surface-mediated peptide treatment." Nanomedicine: Nanotechnology, Biology, and Medicine, 2014 Jan;10(1):11-4. doi: 10.1016/j.nano.2013.09.002. [PMID: 24090768].
- Crowder SW, Prasai D, Rath R, Balikov DA, Bae HJ, Bolotin, Sung HJ*. "Three-dimensional graphene foams promote osteogenic differentiation of human mesenchymal stem cells." Nanoscale 2013,5, 4171-4176 [PMID: 23592029].
- Crowder SW, Horton LW, Lee SH, McClain CM, Hawkins O, Palmer AM, Bae HJ, Richmond A, Sung HJ*. "Passage-dependent cancerous transformation of human mesenchymal stem cells under carcinogenic hypoxia." FASEB J, 2013 Jul;27(7):2788-98. doi: 10.1096/fj.13-228288 [PMID: 23568779].
- Crowder, SW, Laing Y, Rath R, Park AM, Maltais S, Pintauro PN, Hofmeister WH, Lim CC, Wang X, Sung HJ*, "Polymer/Carbon Nanotube Composite Scaffolds for Enhanced Cardiac Differentiation of Human Mesenchymal Stem Cells" 2012 Nanomedicine 2013 Nov;8(11):1763-76. doi: 10.2217/nnm.12.204 [PMID: 23530764].
- Lee SH, Gupta MK, Bang JB, Bae HJ, and Sung HJ*, "Current Progress in Reactive Oxygen Species (ROS)-Responsive Materials for Biomedical Applications" Advanced Healthcare Materials, 2013;2 (6):908-915, DOI: 10.1002/adhm.201200423.
- Zachman AL, Crowder SW, Oritz O, Zienkiewicz KJ, Bronikowski CM, Yu SS, Giorgio TD, Guelcher SA, Kohn JB, and Sung HJ*, "Pro-angiogenic and anti-inflammatory regulation by functional peptides loaded in polymeric implants for soft tissue regeneration" Tissue Eng Part A Tissue Eng Part A. 2013 Feb;19(3-4):437-47. [PMID: 22953721].
- Gupta MK, Walthal JM, Venkataraman R, Crowder SW, Jung DK, Yu SS, Feaster TK, Hong CH, Baudenbacher FJ, Hatzopoulous AK, Sung HJ*. "Combinatorial Electrospun Matrices Promote Physiologically-Relevant Cardiomyogenic Stem Cell Differentiation." PLoS ONE. 2011;6(12):e28935. [PMID:22216144].
- Yu SS, Koblin RL, Zachman AL, Perrien DS, Hofmeister LH, Giorgio TD, Sung HJ*. "Physiologically Relevant Oxidative Degradation of Oligo(proline) Cross-Linked Polymeric Scaffolds." Biomacromolecules. 2011;12(12):4357-66. [PMID: 22017359].