Associate Professor of Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering
Associate Professor of Molecular Physiology and Biophysics
Director of Graduate Recruiting in Chemical Engineering
Metabolic engineering; systems biology; diabetes, obesity and metabolic disorders; tumor metabolism; autotrophic metabolism; cell culture engineering
- C. M. Hasenour, M. L. Wall, D. E. Ridley, C. C. Hughey, F. D. James, D. H. Wasserman, J. D. Young*. Mass spectrometry-based microassay of 2H and 13C plasma glucose labeling to quantify liver metabolic fluxes in vivo. American Journal of Physiology-Endocrinology and Metabolism 309:E191–203, 2015.
- M. L. Wall, L. D. Pound, I. Trenary, R. M. O’Brien, J. D. Young*. Novel stable isotope analyses demonstrate significant rates of glucose cycling in mouse pancreatic islets. Diabetes 64:2129–37, 2015.
- F. Ma, L. J. Jazmin, J. D. Young*, D. K. Allen*. Isotopically nonstationary 13C flux analysis of changes in Arabidopsis thaliana leaf metabolism due to high light acclimation. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 111:16967–16972, 2014.
- A. K. Leamy, R. A. Egnatchik, M. Shiota, P. T. Ivanova, D. S. Myers, H. A. Brown, J. D. Young*. Enhanced synthesis of saturated phospholipids is associated with ER stress and lipotoxicity in palmitate treated hepatic cells. Journal of Lipid Research 55:1478–1488, 2014.
- N. Templeton, A. Lewis, H. Dorai, E. A. Qian, M. P. Campbell, K. D. Smith, S. E. Lang, M. J. Betenbaugh, J. D. Young*. The impact of anti-apoptotic gene Bcl-2D expression on CHO central metabolism. Metabolic Engineering 25:92–102, 2014.
- R. A. Egnatchik, A. K. Leamy, D. A. Jacobson, M. Shiota, J. D. Young*. ER calcium release promotes mitochondrial dysfunction and hepatic cell lipotoxicity in response to palmitate overload. Molecular Metabolism 3:544–553, 2014.
- J. D. Young*. INCA: A computational platform for isotopically nonstationary metabolic flux analysis. Bioinformatics 30:1333–1335, 2014.
- R. A. Egnatchik, A. K. Leamy, Y. Noguchi, M. Shiota, J. D. Young*. Palmitate-induced activation of mitochondrial metabolism promotes oxidative stress and apoptosis in H4IIEC3 rat hepatocytes. Metabolism 63:283–295, 2014.
- N. Templeton, J. Dean, P. Reddy, J. D. Young*. Peak antibody production is associated with increased oxidative metabolism in an industrially relevant fed-batch CHO cell culture. Biotechnology and Bioengineering 110:2013–2024, 2013.
- T. A. Murphy, C. V. Dang, J. D. Young*. Isotopically nonstationary 13C flux analysis of Myc-induced metabolic reprogramming in B-cells. Metabolic Engineering 15:206-217, 2013.
- J. D. Young, A. A. Shastri, G. Stephanopoulos*, J. A. Morgan*. Mapping photoautotrophic metabolism with isotopically nonstationary 13C flux analysis. Metabolic Engineering 13:656–65, 2011.