Research Assistant Professor of Biomedical Engineering
Research FocusThe overall theme of my research is concentrated in applying computational modeling and non-invasive imaging methodologies to explore the nature of soft-tissue mechanics in cancer and development, with an emphasis on driving clinical therapeutic interventions. My research focuses on the multi-disciplinary study of the multi-scale influences of mechanics in cancer progression and response to therapy, involving the development and validation of image-based mathematical modeling approaches to evaluate quantitative parameterization of cancer properties and predict the response to therapy.
Mechanical Stiffness to Evaluate and Predict Breast Cancer Therapeutic
- Image-Based Biophysical Modeling to Predict the Response of Breast Cancer to
- Image-Based Biophysical Modeling to Predict Tumor Recurrence from
Pseudo-Progression Following Stereotactic Radiosurgery for Intracranial
- Weis, J.A., Miga, M.I., Yankeelov, T.E. Three-dimensional image-based mechanical modeling for predicting the response of breast cancer to neoadjuvant therapy. Computer Methods in Applied Mechanics and Engineering. 2017 Feb;314:494-512.
- Yankeelov T.E., Popel A.S., An G., Ribba B., Weis J.A., Saut O., Ye K., Genin G.M., Vicini P. Multi-scale modeling in clinical oncology: opportunities and barriers to success. annals of biomedical engineering. Annals of Biomedical Engineering. 2016 Sept;44(9):2626-41.
- Weis, J.A., Flint, K.M., Sanchez, V., Yankeelov, T.E., Miga, M.I. Assessing the accuracy and reproducibility of modality independent elastography in a murine model of breast cancer. Journal of Medical Imaging. 2015 Jul;2(3):036001.
- Weis, J.A., Miga, M.I., Li, X., Arlinghaus, L.R., Abramson, V., Chakravarthy, A.B., Farley, J., Pendyala, P., Yankeelov, T.E. Predicting the response of breast cancer to neoadjuvant chemotherapy using a mechanically coupled reaction-diffusion model. Cancer Research. 2015 Nov;75(22):4697-4707.
- Weis, J.A., Miga, M.I., Arlinghaus, L.R., Li, X., Chakravarthy, A.B., Abramson, V., Farley, J., Yankeelov, T.E. A mechanically coupled reaction-diffusion model for predicting the response of breast tumors to neoadjuvant chemotherapy. Physics in Medicine and Biology. 2013 Sept;58(17):5851-5866.
- Yankeelov, T.E., Atuegwu, N., Hormuth, D., Weis, J.A., Barnes, S.L., Miga,
M.I., Quaranta, V. Clinically relevant mathematical modeling of tumor
growth and treatment response. Science Translational Medicine. 2013