Adjunct Professor of Biomedical Engineering
Dr. Klein-Gardner focuses on engineering education, particularly at the K-12 level. She leads the Engineering for US All (e4usa.org) project that seeks to demystify and democratize engineering through a yearlong, hands-on introduction to engineering course at the high school level. Over the years, her work has entailed significant research in professional development for teachers of engineering at all levels of K-12. She also provides educational evaluation of the two-course sequence in the Vanderbilt Institute for Surgery and Engineering.
- Carberry, A. R., Klein-Gardner, S. S., Lottero-Perdue, P. S., & Shirey, K. L. (2023). Pre-college engineering education teacher preparation. In A. Johri (Ed.), International Handbook of Engineering Education Research (pp. 241-262). Routledge, London, UK.
Professional Learning for Pre-College Engineering Teachers | 15 | Inte (taylorfrancis.com)
- Reimers, J.E.; Farmer, Cheryl L.; and Klein-Gardner, S. S. (2015). An Introduction to the Standards for Preparation and Professional Development for Teachers of Engineering. Journal of Pre-College Engineering Education Research (J-PEER): Vol. 5: Iss. 1, Article 5. http://dx.doi.org/10.7771/2157-9288.1107
- Kouo, J., Dalal, M., Lee, E., Berhane, B., Emiola-Owalabi, O., Ladeji-Osias, J., Beauchamp, C., Reid, K., Klein-Gardner, S., & Carberry, A. (2023). Understanding the impact of professional development for a cohort of teachers with varying prior teaching and engineering experience. Journal of Pre-College Engineering Education Research, 13(1), 37-54 https://doi.org/10.7771/2157-9288.1317.
- Klein-Gardner, S., & Abts, L., & Goldberg, G. (2022, August), The Engineering Design Process Portfolio Scoring Rubric (EDPPSR) – Initial Validity and Reliability (Fundamental) Paper presented at 2022 ASEE Annual Conference & Exposition, Minneapolis, MN. https://peer.asee.org/41236
- Klein-Gardner, SS, ME Johnston, L Benson. Impact of the RET Teacher-Developed Curriculum on their teaching strategies and student motivation. Journal of Pre-College Engineering Education Research. 2(2):21-35. 2012. http://docs.lib.purdue.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1064&context=jpeer
- Corday, DS, TR Harris, SS Klein. A Research Synthesis of the Effectiveness, Replicability, and Generality of the VaNTH Challenge-based Instructional Modules in Bioengineering. Journal of Engineering Education. 98(4):335-348. 2009.
- Brophy, SB, SS Klein, M Portsmore, C Rogers. Advancing Engineering Education in P-12 Classrooms. Journal of Engineering Education. 97(3): 369-387. 2008.