Faculty, students to honor late professor Matthew Walker III in virtual memorial May 8
Faculty, students, administrators and friends of the School of Engineering and School of Medicine will hold a memorial to honor professor and mentor Matthew Walker III. Walker was a beloved professor and mentor who developed and taught Vanderbilt University’s biomedical engineering design curriculum and served as the associate director of the Medical Innovators Development Program. Walker died suddenly on April 24.
Updated: Watch the memorial service here.
The virtual memorial service will stream live from Benton Chapel on Saturday, May 8, from 11 a.m. to noon CST. A small audience of 25 invited guests from the Walker family and Vanderbilt faculty will attend in person, in compliance with campus COVID protocols. The virtual memorial service is open to the public.
Speakers honoring Walker will include:
- André L. Churchwell, vice chancellor for equity, diversity and inclusion and chief diversity officer
- Philippe M. Fauchet, Bruce and Bridgitt Evans Dean of Engineering
- Reed A. Omary, Carol D. & Henry P. Pendergrass Chair in Radiology and Radiological Sciences; chair, Department of Radiology and Radiological Sciences; professor of biomedical engineering, radiology and radiological sciences; director, Medical Innovators Development Program
- Michael R. King, J. Lawrence Wilson Chair; professor of biomedical engineering, radiology and radiological sciences; chair, Department of Biomedical Engineering
- Isom B. Kelly III, Ph.D. student in biomedical engineering and participant in the Fisk-Vanderbilt Master’s-to-Ph.D. Bridge Program
- Eden M. Lyons, student in MIDP
- Todd D. Giorgio, professor of biomedical engineering, chemical and biomolecular engineering, and cancer biology
- Katina Beard, chief executive officer, Matthew Walker Comprehensive Care Center, Inc.
- Jerry C. Collins, adjunct professor at Alabama A&M University and Lipscomb University
While it is certain that many Vanderbilt and VUMC community members will wish to express condolences and pay respects to Professor Walker and his family in person at the funeral, capacity restrictions have been met for the service. All are welcome to attend the following visitation services:
- Public viewing on Tuesday, May 4, 3–5 p.m. at Lewis & Wright Funeral Directors, 2500 Clarksville Highway, Nashville
- Family visitation on Wednesday, May 5, 10–11 a.m. at Schrader Lane Church of Christ, 1234 Schrader Lane, Nashville
Walker is survived by his wife, Anna Walker, son, Matthew Walker IV, sister, Nicole Walker, and mother, Ramona Bard.
Posted on Tuesday, May 4, 2021 in biomedical engineering, Matthew Walker III, memorial service,Alumni, Biomedical Engineering, Home Features, News, News Sidebar