VUSE Software Distribution and Support ServicesGeneral Information | Available Packages | Basic Instructions | Common Issues
Note: You should use VUnet e-password credentials to access any of the restricted materials. To identify yourself to the DreamSpark Premium webstore, provide your preferred VUmail email address and your DreamSpark password.
General InformationThis server supports the VUSE Software Distribution and Support (SDS) services. In general, access to the restricted materials for any of the packages distributed from this server requires
- a valid set of VUnet credentials (a username and a password),
- a network address on the Vanderbilt data network, and
- authorization to access the materials for that package.
Authorization to access these materials does not imply authorization to share these materials. Anyone sharing these materials with anyone else or sharing her or his SDS password with anyone else may lose access to this server.
In general, all software associated with a package is covered by a single license and each authorized user is authorized for only a single license of a package. One license entitles a user to install the associated package on one computer. To install a package on a second, different computer, a user must first deactivate the software (if necessary) and uninstall it from the first computer.
Available PackagesDepending on your personal authorizations, you may be able to access materials for
- AspenPlus from Aspen Technology, Inc.
- Creo from Parametric Technology Corporation
- DreamSpark Premium from Microsoft Corporation
- LabVIEW from National Instruments Corporation
- Mathematica from Wolfram Research, Inc. - Warning Regarding License Expiration: Each activation key is tied to a yearly license and expires on April 30 (with a one month grace period) so you will need to reactivate your installation every year even if you do not upgrade the software.
- MATLAB from The Mathworks, Inc.
- SuperPro Designer from Intelligen, Inc.
- follow one of the package links above to access materials for your package of interest
- select and download an archive appropriate for your computer
- if necessary, download any supplemental files providing licensing information needed to install or activate the software package
- extract the files from the downloaded archive or, if you chose a disk image, mount the archive as a virtual disk or burn the archive to a physical disk and mount the newly-burned disk,
- run the installation program (typicially named setup, install or something similar) provided by the vendor of the software and found in the top-level directory of the extracted or mounted distribution materials
- The general process of installing one of the packages distributed from a VUSE SDS server involves these steps:
File Size - Download Time
Some of the available files are very large. Attempting to download them via a wireless connection may be frustrating. For fastest downloads, we recommend that you make a wired connection to both power and data networks for the duration of the download process.
File Size - Software Limitations
Some of the available files are very large. Older web browsers may be unable to download the largest files. To avoid a problem with incomplete downloads, we recommend that you use a browser version that can handle transfer of files larger than 4GB.
Access Restrictions - User Identification/Authentication
Access to the software installation materials on an SDS server is restricted. To gain access to the restricted materials, you must prove to the server that you should be allowed to operate with an identity authorized for access. The process of proving your identity to the server is known as authentication and, in general, is accomplished by presenting your personal VUnet username ("VUnetID") and VUnet e-password to the server.
Access Restrictions - User Authorization
Access to the software installation materials on an SDS server is restricted and access to the materials for each package is authorized independently. Authorization to access one package does not imply authorization to access any other package. Furthermore, authorization to access a package in one school year does not imply authorization to access that same package in any later year. If you currently cannot access the desired software package, please email firstname.lastname@example.org to request access.
- Questions? Comments? Suggestions? Send them to